Birth Certificates for Grandparents

Regole del forum
Se crei un nuovo argomento su un comune, metti all'inizio dell'oggetto il nome del comune tra parentesi quadrate, in modo da facilitarne l'individuazione.

Birth Certificates for Grandparents

Messaggioda robertpape » mer 24 set 2008 03:45

I am searching for the birth certificates for my grandparents.

I believe that they were born in the Picerno area.

My grandfather's name was Antonio Pape, born about 1858 and immigrated to New York City in 1887.

My grandmother's maiden name was Caterina Caivano, born about 1853 and immigrated to New York City, in 1892.

I am trying to find Italian birth records and marriage certificates for both grandparents.

Any information that you could give me regarding the search would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry that I do not speak or read Italian.

Roberto Pape
rmpape@sbcglobal. net
robertpape
Novizio

spero essere di aiuto

Messaggioda anesba60 » mar 07 ott 2008 19:02

HI Roberto. I want to help you and I'll try, OK? I've searched the last name Pape in Italy and it is present in only 3 city and at north Italy. If you think your ancestors came from Picerno, maybe, maybe their last name is Pepe. There are a lot of Pepe in Italy, present in 1080 city, do you understand? You have onother problem because not at all of the city in Basilicata have the records, they have had a terremoto (movement of land) and the records were lost. So, I want to ask you: Why do you "believe" they came from Picerno? Aren't you sure? Have you gone to the Ancestry.com page and ask for? At that page they provide you the number of microfilm taht you can ask for, then you go to the Church and see it, so you can found your ancestors. Another advice, if they got married in Italy, it's possible that they did that at your grandmother's city.
I live in Uruguay, so I studied english a lot of years ago, so..... I speak spanish and italian and I'm in contact with two lenguages more than english. But I hope you can understand me and wait I were usefull to you. If you need something else, write me. Bye, have a good time!
Ana :D
anesba60
Utente Junior

My Grandparents from Picderno, Italy.

Messaggioda robertpape » mar 07 ott 2008 20:50

Ana,

Muchas gracias por su ayuda. Thank you very much for your help. It was very kind of you to answer my questions. To bring you up-to-date, I have a cousin who called Perceno and you are correct; my grandfather's name was Pepe, not Pape.
My grandfather's and grandmother's birth certificates are on their to me as I am writing this note to you. My son, Rob, is interested in obtaining dual citizenship; American and Italian. Now that I know my Grandfather's name was Pepe, I have to find out when and how he came to the U.S. and when the name was changed.
If you could help me in that regard, I would appreciate it very much.

Comprendo un poquito espanol. Otra vez, muchas gracias por su email, y Ojala que este en bien salud.

Muchos recuerdos,

Bob y Mariana Pape
robertpape
Novizio

Messaggioda anesba60 » mar 07 ott 2008 22:09

Hi Bob and Mariana: I'm happy for you! :D You found yours. You can search in internet this:"immigrantships.net", at this page you can search the last name or find the passenger's lists or do the search for date or for ship's name. I saw, but I dind't find Pepe or Pape.
I think the last name was changed when he arrived to USA, or when was born their first child. You'are going to know really when you ask for all of the certificates which are necessary to obtain the italian citizenshp, when you form the genealogy tree from them to you.
Good luck! Hasta pronto.
Ana
anesba60
Utente Junior

Torna a Basilicata